Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Right Down the Street is a Different Time and Space

Zee and I spent the day in one of our favorite little pieces of Portland. The Park Blocks encompass a series of city blocks known as the Cultural District; all of which is located in the Southwest quadrant of the city. In addition to a series of old churches, the historical society, living spaces, and myriad museums, this area also feeds onto the Portland State University Campus.


From May until October, the park plays host to one of the best set of Farmer's Markets in the area. On any given Wednesday or Saturday, the smell of fresh street food and the finest produce or locally crafted foods wafts through the trees. But for now, the blustery wind and splattering rain are holding sway.



The verdigris of old stone, lovingly cut by craftsmen long dead, provides the borders for our wandering.


Soaring towers of glass remind us of the century we inhabit.


An ever so slight adjustment to our gaze allows us to forget.



We harmonize our perception of time to match the creeping ivy and the ageless bricks.


But reality intrudes and we reluctantly depart. Our visit lingers as a fond memory, ere long we return.


Our love for our time together in this place is gravity redefined.

6 comments:

  1. Some great shots and I love that you put some commentary there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SJ,

    Thank you for your usual kindness AND fir being the first comment on my new Blog!! I sort of feel like you should get a prize or something...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice cold looking pics lol. I remember the light rail but not a lot else of Portland. Except some part where there are a few cafes where you sit facing the street. mmm the coffeee!!!

    Cheers A

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos! I find the one of the building with the ivy growing all over it exceptionally interesting to me. I love history photos of anywhere:)
    Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots! I love the commentary. I'm not sure I knew you lived in portland... I have relatives there, but haven't been in years. I'm hoping the next all Hoyt get together will be there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AG, The streetcars, light rail and trolly are great around here, for the first time in my life, I am dreaming of ditching my car... Coffee is our passion, as is beer and wine. We are blessed with a ton of neighborhood cafes and streetside seating. The food carts are stupendous.

    Be sure to let me know if you ever plan to visit Portland again, I'd look forward to sharing the scene...

    Mary, I love that building as well. I've spent more than a few hours on the benches, watching the ivy grow and letting my imagination off the leash...

    Rachel, Thank you. Yes, Portland has been my home for the last decade or so. I love this city and I mean like serious relationship flavored love! Definately make any excuse to visit, it is a beautiful place!

    Thank you all for your continued support and kindness!

    ReplyDelete